Over the last 16 years, I’ve come to realise that helping young people to achieve better futures is my absolute passion. There really is no better feeling for me than seeing a young person become the best they can. It’s the driving force behind my work life and the reason why I spend time and energy continually developing my knowledge and building my skill set.
“It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish”, I often hear myself saying. That’s because I believe that, with the right support and guidance, every young person can achieve their full potential. No matter where we start in life, statistical outcomes are not inevitable, perspectives can be changed and horizons broadened. And I should know, I’ve walked that path myself.
Currently, I’m working in schools and privately in North Lincolnshire and the surrounding areas. As I continue my transition as an independent support service provider, I plan to offer much more in the future. I’m very excited to see where my work will take me, who I’ll meet and work with and what I’ll learn. But mostly I look forward to “Supporting Young People to be the best they can”.
A little bit about my professional history
I have spent the last 16 years working with children, young people and families, supporting them to move beyond their difficulties. I continue with my professional development, have recently completed Anger & Aggression Management Practitioner training and I’m currently working through a Diploma in Mindfulness.
- 3 years as a Lead Parenting/Crisis Worker for North Lincolnshire Council in FaSST (Families are Safe Secure and Transformed). Working with parents and families at crisis point, aiming to prevent family breakdowns. I also wrote some parenting sessions that became part of a parent training course, delivered locally.
- 4 years as a Senior Family Support Worker for North Lincolnshire Council in CFSS (Children and Family Support Services), working with children and young people ages 0-19. Managing a complex caseload of families subject to a child protection plan or child in need plan. Providing support that could enable them to achieve positive outcomes.
- 7 years working for Connexions, in the role of Intense Support Personal Adviser, working throughout many schools in North Lincolnshire. Managing a caseload of young people, ages ranging from 13-19, working creatively with them in group works and 1:1 sessions, supporting them to overcome their barriers to progression. Whilst at Connexions I had the opportunity to complete 2 Professional Diplomas, one through the University of Lincoln focusing on effective engagement, working towards change with young people and reflective practice and an OCR - Dip RSA in ‘Learning Development and Support Services for Young People’ also qualifying as a Careers Adviser.
- 1 year as a volunteer mentor for The National Probation Service. Supporting offenders on a skills for life programme, aiming to raise their attainment level and prevent them from re-offending.
- 7 years working a summer project, providing positive activities for children and young people from areas of deprivation, throughout the summer holidays at a local school.
See my list of training PDF for full details.
Here's some recent feedback I've received from professionals, young people and parents.
- Enhanced DBS
- Safeguarding Policy
- GDPR Statement
- Service Level Agreements